Sunday 27 October 2013

'Eating Clouds'


Imagine this... You wake up on a quiet Sunday morning, but things seem maybe, to quiet? You look out the window of your flat, high above the streets of your city and .... Zombies!!!! You safe where you are are, BUT you realise you need something. You need Wontons! What do you do?

Ok Zombies are, So NOT Louise... and yes I know they not real, still I don't like them! The thing is, sometimes you just don't feel like leaving your house. All is not lost, today I'm going to tell you how to make your own Wonton Wrappers, that you'll be able to use in many ways.

 If you're like me and like making things from scratch, Wonton Wrappers are cool (well, I think they are and you'll get quiet a few, wows) The literal Cantonese translation is 'Cloud Eating' because of the way these beauties float in a clear broth. Won tons Wrappers, once filled are great in a broth, deep fried, steamed or even baked. Won tons Wrappers as a rule don't have much flavor they are basically little squares or circles of pasta. That is going to be the challenge to myself, making the Wrappers themselves taste nice.

I what to use a flavor that will work great with savoury and sweet. So Louise... I decided to use Lemongrass and Black Sesame Seed, if you can't find Black Sesame Seeds, the normal white ones will do.

For the Wonton Wrapper's you'll need:
2cups Cake Flour (not self raising)
1tsp Salt
2 tbsp Black Sesame Seeds
1 Large Egg
half a cut of Water ( How I infused mine with Lemongrass: I boiled the water with 2tsp Dry Lemongrass in and them let it cool before straining it)
a clean Damp Cloth
Corn Starch
Rolling pin
Sharp knife
Plastic wrap

In a large bowl, add Flour, Salt and Sesame Seeds. Make a well in the middle and add the Egg. Mix well and start adding the Lemongrass Water until it forms a firm dough, use your hands if needed. You might not need to use all the Water. Wrap you dough in a damp cloth and let it rest for 20min.Once the time is up, take a golf ball size piece and roll out on a well Corn Starched surface. Roll dough until it is almost see through. Cut into square or circles and place on plastic wrap.I made my Wrappers about 5cm by 5cm. Carry on until all the dough is used, placing a piece of plastic wrap in between each layer of Wrappers

You now have some beautiful Wonton Wrappers, all you need to do now is choose a filling or fillings. I made a Pork Mince filling and deep fried mine. (Because its such a small bite of meat you need to use lots of flavor)
Some other fillings could be Prawns, Chicken Mince, Spinach for a veggie, you can try anything. If you don't use all your Wrappers you can freeze them, to be used at a later stage.
When wrapping the Wrapper around your filling always squash all the air around you filling out. this will stop it from bursting. 

Next week, I have some of my girl friends coming around for dinner. I'm going to be making Asian inspired dishes, I'm very excited. Will let you all know how it goes.

Have fun with your Wrappers and now go get your Cooking on!  


 Till next time
xoxo So Louise

No comments:

Post a Comment